Sunday, June 29, 2008

A Little Summer Reading

My brother, Rob, is reading Ulysses, by James Joyce, and suggested I pick it up. I found a site online where I can read it for free, so I thought I would share it here. Ulysses is written in stream-of-consciousness style, much like another novel I read back in college, The Sound and the Fury, by William Faulkner. I read that one based on a challenge that I'd never get through it. I did get through it, and I loved it. So I am hoping I feel the same way about Ulysses. I mean, it' a novel about a day in the life of a man whose wife is cheating on him. And her name is Molly. How can it not be a good read?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow,

I've been 'reading' Ulysees for about 2 years. I'm 3/4 or so through. One hint I found helpful: the 'plot' follows the Odessey of Homer and there are those who have created helpful charts that track the corresponding elements. There are, of course, a thousand other schematas from various experts, but I found that having at least a vague map helped me navigate this dense masterpiece. When you're done, Finnegan's Wake awaits!

Mollie Corbett Photography said...

I will investigate said charts. I used something similar to what you describe to help me plow through The Sound and the Fury. I agree, it does seem less daunting when you have a guide. The tools for Sound actually gave helpful background information into the story and even into the life and philosophies of the author.

Of course, my pride wants to "get it" without having to resort to tools.

I still shudder at the days of my youth spent devouring every page of the Cliffs Notes of various books we were to have been reading in school. Is it any wonder those things bear the same markings as crime scene tape?

Bayou

Bayou
trees float down here