Monday, July 25, 2016

Weekend Highlights

Good Monday morning, Bloggers!

Today, my thoughts are with my friend Jill who lost her fur baby over the weekend. I remember April 26th, 2010, like it was yesterday, the day I lost my Miss Rosie. I still miss her but am thankful to encounter her frequently, alive, well, and purring happily, in my dreams. Here's the post I wrote about Rosie's passing back then. I hope it brings peace and comfort to all of those who've lost furry loved ones along their way.

Yesterday was a full and fun day for We Corbetts.

We started out at Grace Community #surprisedbyGrace, like we do most Sundays since Christmas 2015. This morning we heard the compelling story of the McCormicks in Africa who are about to embark on a life-transforming mission to Mozambique where David will serve as a hospital administrator and Elizabeth will serve as the pharmacist for a rural 200-bed hospital that serves a large coastal
region of the Southeastern African nation. I feel so grateful to be close to a family that will be living and working in Africa, and Charlie and I talked about how beautiful it will be to support this family and know that women and children, in particular, are getting the medical attention and care they need, at least in this part of the world. I'll be checking in on David and Elizabeth along their at-least three-year journey. Excited to walk alongside!

After some kick-ass church (yeh, i said it), we headed over to Bon Temps Coffee Bar for a second Town Hall discussion about race, policing, and community in our town. Hosted by owner Marcus Mitchell, the Town Hall has become an ongoing series of conversations in our community in a safe place where opinions, fears, joys, and sorrows may be freely shared in the pursuit of mutual understanding and shared peace. I'm so proud to be a voice in the conversation but so privileged to be a hearer of the many other voices rising to the microphone to be heard. Mitchell is also a local law enforcement officer (LEO) and African-American and brings a unique perspective to the discussion of race and policing to
our conversations. Juan Huertas, pastor of Grace Community, has also been attending with me and sharing a new, more progressive Christian perspective that we believe has pleasantly surprised some among our group. We look forward to future conversations toward the goal of bringing peace and understanding to our diverse community and to tackling other issues among the marginalized and disenfranchised communities of homosexuals and women, who also need to have their voices heard in the public sphere. Though at times frightening, I also believe it is an extraordinary time to be alive. Grateful for a place like Bon Temps to get down to the nitty gritty together in harmony.

Finally, I'd like to remind all my locals that The Cotton Boll Grill is OPEN for Business at 1624 Fairfield Ave. I stopped by this morning, desperate for coffee, and was greeted warmly by Gregory and presented with a delicious fix of the elixir of life. Open Monday through Friday, 6a to 3p, the Cotton Boll offers daily lunch specials.

Monday is Baked Chicken or Chicken and Sausage Gumbo. Tuesday is Meatloaf or Southern Fried Smothered Pork Chop. Wednesday, New Orleans Style Fried Chicken or Chef's Choice.
Thursday is a Cane River Pork Chop or Chicken and Dumplings. And Friday is brimming with Southern Fried Catfish, Shrimp Gumbo, Jumbo Fried Gulf Shrimp, or a Seafood Combo.

Guess what I'm having for lunch today?

No comments:

Bayou

Bayou
trees float down here