Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Right on, Bloggy Todd

My friend Todd nails it with his post today in follow up to yesterday's inaugural festivities. I'd like to share it with you here.

"I, for one, am ready and expect for the new prez to take us in the right direction. I am done with Republican/Democrat, conservative/liberal crap. I'm ready for Americans. Let's band together and get the things we need. A better economy, healthcare, etc.

Congrats to yours, mine and our new President . I pray that 2009 will be good to us all."

Well said, Todd. Readin' my mind. I swear I was just thinking about this while pouring my coffee this morning.

I was reflecting on our times, the crises at hand (plural intended, with Iraq, Afghanistan, the Economy in mind). You know, the reports about what it was like in those stairwells in the crumbling WTC towers revealed a camaraderie and synergy that was born in adversity for the purpose of the task at hand: live through this or at least die trying. Americans summoned the best of themselves to render aid, pour out compassion, and strive together for the common good.

I spent yesterday in tears—sadness for the years paid in the waiting, years that deferred the dream of people like the Reverend King and President Johnson and Bobby Kennedy; joy for the blessing of bearing witness to its fruition and of being a citizen of the state of Freedom and Democracy with the power to effect peaceful change as one person and one of millions; anticipation for the hope that somehow has come bubbling up into a beautiful crescendo of affirmation.

Old labels and divisive ideology are the yoke of yesterday. Today is a new day, a time for courage, a time for involvement, a time for responsibility, a time for accountability.

We may be broke. We may be limping. We may even be fearful. But we are something else as well. We are Americans, and it feels good to be proud of it again.

1 comment:

RadioTodd said...

Great words here! Nobody gonna keep us down! If it is to be, it's up to us...

Bayou

Bayou
trees float down here